9.11.10

Vernissages'rules in NY

Well I just recently returned from my mini-vacation to NYC and it was really fun. I could blog about a lot of things but I’m going to concentrate on one of my favorite part of the trip which is: Vernissages.

After surfing the web; my friend found a vernissage of Robert Pettibon on Saturday in Chelsea. It was the perfect break after a day of walking around and necessary shopping of course!
On our way to the gallery we happened to pass by another one. Just looking in the window we saw lots of people drinking champagne and having fun. We started our night joining and toasting champagne; and wow it was an amazing art show. The gallery looked great and was hosting art work of William Earl Kofmehl III which was fantastic and never a bad mix with the unlimited free champagne.


Kofmehl’s ambitious show includes over 150 embroidered canvases and a sculpture of a giant squirrel. It was a great stop before reaching our destination.

I could have swam into champagne but we crossed the street to go to the David Zwirner gallery. Wow, wow,wow!! As soon as we walked in, we saw a huge garbage can fill up with cold beers and the great work of Robert Pettibon. His art was really reflecting the Southern California punk-rock culture of the late 1970s and 80s with the “Do-it-yourself”aesthetic album-covers, comics and fanzines that characterized the movement.

Yes,yes it’s really Ben Stiller behind my best friends!We had a blast there and the alcohol was starting to make his role. But, after a fresh air break, we discover that the gallery just in front was also having a vernissage! I think at that point, I lost it, in a good way. It was such a dream, on the same street, three amazing vernissages, with tons of nice, well dress people and free booze!

The last gallery we when to was the Gasser Grunert Gallery The exhibition call Exquisite Corpse Projet include of over 200 important contemporary artists that had come together to create collaborative drawings based on the 1920s surrealist game “cadaver exquis”. Each artist adds to the composition, in sequence, without seeing the contribution of the previous person.


It was my favourite exhibition of all three; I guess because the drawings there was really more close to the art I’m doing mix with all the alcohol and the “I am dreaming this moment or what??”
Anyhow, we were still good to returned to Williamsburg-with a big smile on our faces.

Aucun commentaire: